Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Welcome to Lordsville......

"Justified" meets the area I grew up in "Paradise, WV" by Rob Rufus. 

At first glance, see previous post, I believed the cover resembled heaven vs. hell and boy was I right about that one! Jane and Henry Lusher's dad, Hollis, was convicted of murdering 3 (possibly 12) women before being arrested. The kids must live in the shadow of this in a small town called, Paradise. No one befriends the kids and the oldest, Jane, is doing whatever it takes to get out Paradise for good. 

BUT....

The murders that their father was accused of start again or did they ever stop? Is this a copycat killer? OR...was the real killer never brought to justice? With the help of Otis Perkins, who has his own father issues as well, they attempt to unmask what really happened to those women and how it may be connected to a religious cult, Lordsville. And of course, Mammaw and Gravy (their mascot puppy) are along for the ride! 

I cannot say enough about this book! I had to pace myself or else I was going to finish it in one night! The writing is on point for the kids, mammaw, and the officers. I love the mentions of local area restaurant's, cities, and towns! It was like walking back through my childhood, minus the serial killer. 

Couple of things I didn't love but in no way impacted the story; I felt the podcast visiting would have been a much bigger deal than it was made out to be. I think given the events that occurred on the night of the live event, the hosts would have wanted to stick around for the first hand accounts of what was going on (in my opinion.) Next, the book is divided into "episodes" which is why I thought the podcast would play a bigger role in the book than it did. But as I said, these couple of things did not impact the story and did not prevent me from giving this one a 5/5 on Goodreads! I really hope you all pick up a copy when it hits shelves on 7.20.21! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Publisher Appreciation Post!!! RE: Simon & Schuster/Avid Reader Press

  It's Wednesday which means it is time for a publisher appreciation post! But this Wednesday, I have a special treat for you all - a bo...